Clay Sculpture

 Sketches









Progress












Final




When we are kids our toys are our best friends. We hug them and take them on long car rides. While this troll doll was not something that I had as a child, it still is symbolic to me of my childhood because I loved the Trolls movie and other cute toys like it. I acquired this troll doll from Future Friends at a career fair that I hosted last semester. They had a toy machine like the ones that hold gumballs, and they had quarters to get the toys with. It was such a nostalgic experience that took me back to toy machines at the dentist or shopping trips to Walmart. As I near the end of my last semester here at Flagler I sometimes think about how quickly we grow up. The troll doll is a reminder that my childhood is coming to an end and my future as a real adult quickly approaches.

 

In relation to the sculpture, I started the process by diving right into working with the clay, making flowers and other fun shapes to learn how the clay molded and became softer the longer I played with it. After taking a break, I created a sketch of the troll and some flowers to help me decide what I wanted to do. I then began working on the head of the troll, shaping its face, ears, and hair. Later, I shaped the torso, arms, legs and gave the troll eyes. After a lot of attempts at smoothing and some help from some wire, I was finally finished with my troll sculpture. Taking a picture of the troll doll with my troll sculpture next too it served as a reminder to never let go of my inner childhood and that my childhood shaped and molded me.  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Found Object