Plaster & Foam

 Sketches






Process Work








Final Result


Artist Statement

The process for this project began with sketches. After playing around I remembered a technique that is used in packaging design to create rigid box structures where you do not fully cut the material and it allows you to create curves and corners. With this technique in mind, the sketches shifted into pieces that utilize this technique. As I kept sketching, I decided on a design that was inspired by a squid. Using a sharpie, I traced the shapes that I wanted onto foam and cut it out using a box cutter. I then used a drill with a sanding attachment to help clean up the edges of the foam. From there, I started layering on plaster and used mesh to help attach the rounded edges together. After the plaster had dried, I used sandpaper to smooth out the piece a little, but I really liked the texture, so I did not make it fully smooth. Finally, I was ready to paint the squid and used red spray paint to bring the squid to life. However, the piece was missing something, so I decided to use sandpaper to hand sand some texture into the piece. As I was adding texture, I began thinking about how it was somewhat symbolic of how the human race has had a hand in the deterioration of sea life. 

 

Disaster struck when I was trying to photograph the piece and it fell, causing the head of the squid to break. The disaster made me think back to the process and how much time that I spent on the sculpture just to have it break. I was heartbroken and it made me realize that the sculpture is symbolic of my passions and how important my time is to me. While I thankfully was able to take a picture of the sculpture before it fell, it still really was sad that it fell. The sculpture not only symbolizes the human race’s hand on the environment, but also passion and emotion.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Found Object

Clay Sculpture